Monday, June 18, 2007

Baked Pork Ribs

P1030347

The next time I make this, I'm going to allow at least 3 to 4 ribs a person...this is so succulent, juicy and surprisingly meaty. I think it'll be even better if you grill it after baking. It doesn't matter if you use baby back ribs or spare ribs, just tell your butcher you want them ribs to be tender and cut quite generously to get more meat. As for the sauce, you can come up with your own version as long as its thick (add tomato ketchup or boil to reduce the sauce) so it'll be sticky and yummy when cooked. And please--forget the knives or forks.

Baked Pork Ribs

2kg pork ribs
1/2 cup Teriyaki sauce
1/2 cup Tomato sauce
2 T Hoisin sauce
2 T honey
2 T cider vinegar
white pepper

1. Cut the ribs into desired serving size. 3 ribs (6 if baby ribs) is good for an average person, more for an above-average eater.

2. Mix the sauces together, taste and adjust to liking.

3. Marinade ribs with the sauce overnight or for at least 6 hours.

4. Set oven at 180 C and bake the ribs for 1 hour. Increase heat to 220 C, pour the marinade sauce over and bake another 30 to 40 min, turning once to baste.

Note: The ribs in the pic didn't have much sauce clinging on because I ran out of honey and used sugar instead, and I made my own teriyaki sauce (Kikkoman soy sauce, sake, mirin and sugar) but did not thicken it by boiling.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Looks really good. I'll definitely give it a try. Thanks.

a feast, everyday said...

Drool...looks so delicious bet it taste even better. When can get invited to your place? Yi is back,right? Home coming party when???

Anonymous said...

raina tell me if its good. drool team: why you sneaky fellas, what a nice blog (tt profile pic!) n you never told me till now! love tt the whole family is involved. just drop by anytime;there's always something cooking.

Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hi Terri,
I baked this rib and it's yummy, anyhow the meat turned out quite dry and hard, any idea?
Thanks

Li

Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...

li: i've found recently tt if i use the baby ribs, the pork is not as tough. if u live in kk, go to Lido Market. the 1st pork stall (afternoon) closer to the single-storey houses sells baby or short ribs tt are more tender than the whole slab (like those in my pic). they r only about 4"/10cm wide and 30cm long.

Anonymous said...

Hi Terri,
I live in Penang, the pork stall I frequent only has 1 type of rib. Maybe I'll try other stalls. I love pork rib very much, so must get to the right tenderness, hee hee.

Li

Anonymous said...

I love BB ribs but i use mainly Heinz sauce. I'll bake it for an hour and and then BBQ/smoke it for abt 15 mins or until golden brown.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...