Sunday, September 25, 2011

Prawns & Macadamia Stir-Fry

DSC_4949_1024x678

A quick stir-fry post in between my jelly experiments. Made three jellies and two failed. It's not as simple as I thought it would be.

Macadamias are delicious and crunchy. I don't know if it's because of the macadamias I've been ingesting recently (thanks to Annie) but everybody's telling me how "fat" I've become. To think that I used to be so thin that after three kids I wore size 6 (US) for years. The perils of food blogging is that you have to eat.

This dish will only take 5 minutes to fry. It's light tastewise although macadamias are loaded with fat and apparently not of the good kind. Mac nuts are high in omega-7 palmitoleic acid, a saturated fat highly priced for making skincare products. Mac nuts are also toxic to dogs so make sure you don't feed your oversized rat (official name: chihuahua) Hawaiian chocolate-coated mac.
This dish is best fried quickly under high heat so that the veggies remain crisp and half raw and the prawns just tender.
DSC_4952_1024x678
Prawns & Macadamia Stir-Fry (serves 2, maybe 3)
8 medium-sized prawns
1 stalk celery
5 baby corn
1 handful macadamias
2 garlic cloves
oil for frying
2 T chicken stock
2 T Shao xin wine
1/2 t cornstarch mixed with 2 T water or chicken stock
1. Peel the prawns and remove dirt veins. Season with a shake of white pepper and a pinch each of salt and sugar. String the celery to remove the hard fibers. Slice celery into small diagonal pieces. Do same with the baby corn. Slice the garlic into slivers.
2. Boil a small pot of water and blanch the baby corn for 20 seconds, then add the celery and boil for about 20 seconds. Drain. Soak in cold water for a second and drain.
3. Heat 2 T veg oil in a frying pan or wok. With heat at high, add the garlic, stir for 20 seconds, then add the prawns. Stir until prawns turn all pink, then add the celery and corn. Season with a pinch of salt. Drizzle the wine over, stir well, and then add the cornstarch batter. Plate up and scatter the macadamias over. Serve hot. 

5 comments:

shaz said...

Very unusual combination. Im sure the contrast is nice.

Lady G said...

How pretty. I've never tried adding macadamia to stir-fry before. I'll keep that in mind.

Nate @ House of Annie said...

We've had a couple of jelly failures as well. It's a learning experience!

Greg Wee said...

I must try this. my parents bought me 3 packets of 1/2 kg macadamia nuts salted and i cannot used it for my cakes. this is great!

Chocolate Cookies & Candies said...

This looks simple enough. I think I can wing it. Thank you for the recipes. You've made hubby and daughter VERY happy because I'm cooking more Asian dishes for a change.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...