Monday, July 16, 2012

Decorated Swiss Roll

DSC_6637_397x600

Hi! I just experimented with making 'decorated Swiss rolls', a Japanese way of cake decorating, that I wanted to share it with you straightaway!

I wish I can make fine, dense yet soft texture Swiss rolls like commercial bakeries but I will not feed people with chemicals that look like orange hair gel. The point of baking my own cakes is to avoid the additives that commercial cakes can't do without. So in my search for the perfect Swiss roll recipe, I came across decorated rolls (I prefer to call them 'stencilled rolls'; in Japan they make stencils for this method of decorating) here and here. I don't know where I was in 2010--under a boulder I suppose--but that was when decorated rolls made the rounds of baking blogs everywhere.

The design possibilities are limitless. Olympic rings, Prada bags, the whole Jolie-Pitt army. It takes effort and imagination, but you save on decoration time and costs. Try it, it's fun!

DSC_6620_800x530

Color a small amount of the batter and pipe the patterns onto a greased tray covered with baking paper. You can then either chill the piped designs or bake them. I chose to bake because 1) the oven was on 2) figured that in our hot weather baking was better than chilling 3) baking is faster. I baked the cherries for 3 minutes and the stems for 1 minute. The idea is to set the designs so that they won't melt and meld with the plain batter during baking. And ALWAYS, ALWAYS, make sure the paper is pressed flat with no air bubbles/tunnels.

Spread the remaining plain batter evenly over the baked designs. Bake as required.

DSC_6621_800x530
Reminds me of sakura Swiss rolls. Make sure the baking paper is very flat or you'll get wrinkles on the roll like I did.

DSC_6623_800x530
Let roll cool completely before filling with buttercream or whipped cream. I used whipped cream (faster) and blackberry jam made by a friend.

DSC_6633_397x600
Isn't that pretty?

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, very pretty.

La Table De Nana said...

Gorgeous..I must try:)

Mary Chey said...

Wau! Very creative with billions ideal. One day must try & tks for sharing

Chocolate Cookies & Candies said...

This is so pretty, Terri. I can do simple but not technically difficult cakes. I think this is beyond my ability. I'm just astounded by how creative you are. I guess that's where Yi gets her talent from.

Zurin said...

Oh soo pretty Terri!....i will try...

Zurin said...

WAh...it was soo difficult to prove tt i was not a robot! lol

RUNNING BROOK said...

I think I've experienced a "famine" recently. It didn't strike me that I missed your cooking blogs so much until I read this post... LOL

Iron Chef Shellie said...

omg how clever!!

Veronica said...

Your Swiss Roll looks sensational. What a creative idea. Thanks for sharing.

Ally ML said...

Sooo beautiful!!!

tina said...

Very creative, will try it next time!

Food so delicious! said...

Can I have the recipe to your swiss roll please..

Dishes said...

Thanks for sharing your experiences here on your blog.

terri@adailyobsession said...

all must try making this! send me photos if you do!

terri@adailyobsession said...

foodsodelicious: i got the recipe frm some blog but didn't copy it n cant rmber exactly which one now bc altho the sponge was moist n tasty, it deflated A LOT so i am still looking for the perfect swiss roll recipe...

Food so delicious! said...

Most sponge cake deflate.. cant help it.. The texture of this sponge is good.

terri@adailyobsession said...

foodilicious: am in sg n this sat i'll be doing a swiss roll n macaron course at shermay's!

Food so delicious! said...

oooo.. i heard a lot about her! Ooo.. yes! I must go for her cake classes too.. thanks for reminding me..

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Terri, you have done it so well for the 1st time. Love your little cute cherries pattern..

Tabitha Luh said...

Hi, is the recipe for the cake the same as the Sakura swiss roll cake?

Tabitha Luh said...

Hi, is the recipe for the cake the same as the Sakura swill roll cake recipe? btw, this looks so lovely!

Anonymous said...

Hi I would like to know if parchment paper can be used for this instead of baking sheets?
Also when I bake, mine turns brown at the bottom and my design also rips along when I pull of the parchment paper. Any idea why it happens? Do you think I should oil the parchment over and under?

Becky said...

I think it would be great with ice cream too. Just partially melt the ice cream, smear on, reroll, refreeze, and YUMMY!! Such a cool idea!

Dee said...

Beautiful roll. I am going to make it this month. We are going to the Japanese Festival in NYC on April 27 and this go perfect with the occasion.

Anonymous said...

Can you post the batter recipe for the cake? thanks

pam said...

Are you using a cake batter or is the cake rolled out? Can we get a cake recipe plz..?

Unknown said...

Fantastic idea...I must try this

Unknown said...

Linda ideia e deve ficar delicioso!Beautiful...

Williams said...

Great post about chronic about work I Get more help from your post I found so many blogs related to this But do not get that much information also I found some interesting information about George Hay

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...